This alternative breakfast idea is tasty, filling and packed with immune supportive ingredients to help keep you feeling fit and healthy. It’s should should also help you manage blood sugar levels nicely throughout the morning. It doubles as a delicious desert too!
I enjoy using black rice because its dark purple colour means it contains some excellent antioxidant nutrients which help protect the body, and are particularly good for managing inflammation in the same way that blueberries and blackberries are. This recipe calls for soaked rice. This is because soaking makes any grain easier to digest which is often required if you’re not 100% well. The oils from the coconut milk combined with the spices in this zingy breakfast pudding also give your immune system and detoxification pathways a helpful boost.
This recipe makes enough for about 3-4 portions, and once cooked you can keep it in the fridge for up to 3 days meaning you can batch cook for ease. To store, simply keep it in the fridge in an airtight container, doing so as soon as its cooled down. For ease, I make mine it in the evening, then all I need do in the morning is portion some out and gently reheat in a pan with a little extra water. Note that if you do make it the evening before you’ll need to factor in soaking time first. I put my rice into a large bowl of water before leaving for work in the morning.
- 1 cup (approx. 200g) black rice, ideally soaked for 8 hours (i.e. overnight).
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup of water (approx. 120ml)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon raw honey (this has more health benefits than regular honey and is sold in health food shops)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or ghee
- 1 teaspoon ground tumeric
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Start by rinsing your black rice, then place in bowl and cover with plenty of water. Allow this to stand for a few hours, ideally 8. After soaking drain the water from the rice using a sieve then give the rice a quick rinse under the tap.
- Once the rice has soaked, drained and rinsed heat the coconut oil or ghee in a pan on a moderate heat.
- Add the turmeric, ginger and cinnamon to the oil, then stir until blended with the oil and heated and aromatic.
- Next add in the soaked rice to the pan and stir through the melted oil and spices.
- Add the coconut oil and all of the water, then cover and cook on a gentle heat for around 30 minutes, or until most, but not all, of the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is soft. Keep checking and stirring to ensure the rice doesn’t stick to the bottom and that it isn’t becoming too dry. If it is looking too dry simply add a little more water.
- Once the rice cooked take it off the heat and stir in the honey, then it is ready to serve.
Serve with a little extra coconut milk if desired. You can also top your breakfast pudding with fruit (mango is very nice) or something crunchy like flaked almonds.